subscribe...

archive...

Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Why Jackie Evancho truly won...

Seriously?  A raspy-voiced late 20-something won America's Got Talent?  Obviously, America has no idea what real talent is.  Which isn't news, considering they always pick the wrong one on American Idol, too.

Okay, okay, I cheated.  I have been a bit under the weather as of late and decided to Google the results to see who won so that I could sleep tonight.  And that's how I found out Jackie Evancho placed second.

If you're my Facebook friend, you know that I have been obsessively following that 10-year-old powerhouse, Jackie Evancho, like I used to follow boy bands in the early '90s.  Her voice, her stage presence, her childlike innocence masking that incredible voice - all of it conveys a talent so huge that most adults cannot even begin to understand.

Am I upset that she didn't win the $1M grand prize and Las Vegas show that was the ultimate goal of all AGT contestants?  Sure.  I wanted the little gal to win as much as the rest of her fans.  But do I think this is it for her?  ABSOLUTELY not!!!  Her poise, her professionalism, her spectacular performances all boasted a talent far beyond that which her adult competitors displayed.  She is a true performer through and through, blasting through performances like last night's version of "Ave Maria", an extremely difficult rendition of the song full of ups and downs that most adult vocalists - myself included - could not handle with the same ease she did.

Shows like American Idol and America's Got Talent claim to seek the most undiscovered talent, that diamond in the rough, but seldom do they choose the person who actually possesses those things.  Usually, the trend is to "vote for" (and I put that in huge quotation fingers b/c I'm sure that's not all of America's "real" vote) the second most talented person and giving them the crown of the show, only to make the supposed "runner-up" the true star.  It's happened with several Idols in the past.  Clay Aiken outshined Ruben Studdard.  People forgot about whatshisface when Adam Lambert merely opened his mouth.  And yet, those poor "winners" of the show never seem to be heard of again, except in the rare instances of Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood.  Goes to show that being the "winner" isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Compared to Michael Grimm, a formidable performer in his own right, Jackie Evancho could run circles around him in both stage presence and actual singing talent.  His voice will NOT last past his Las Vegas assignment, whereas hers will delight audiences forever.  She may be tiny and young, but her talent and spirit are mature beyond her years, bringing a special quality to each and every performance she brings to the world. Was she robbed?  Perhaps.  But in my eyes, this was the best possible outcome for her.  Record companies are no doubt scrambling to sign her, whereas Michael Grimm will only get his Vegas show and 15 minutes of fame and that's it.  Jackie will go on to wow audiences for years to come, especially as she and her powerhouse voice mature.

So to my dear little Jackie, the singer I've both envied and admired since you debuted with "O Mio Babbino Caro", take heart: you are amazing and the singer so many of us wish we could be.  I can't wait until you headline your own tour because I guarantee you, I will be in the front row, trying hard not to sing along so I don't ruin the perfection that is your phenomenal voice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

about me...

My Photo
Kimberly A. Morales
singer. writer. artist. champagne taste, 2 buck chuck budget. good cook. kooky. chocoholic. patron saint of cats. talker. listener. thinker. sometimes to a fault.
View my complete profile

kimberly tweets...

PGEW updates...

Web Statistics